Saturday, January 1, 2011

Resolutions

It's a new year and I usually make a few resolutions, but this year I'm not feeling it. There's nothing that stands out so much that I want to call it out as special. To be sure, I want to be moving forward, making progress in my life towards something. But it's all pretty much on track right now and I don't want to jinx it. Somehow by pulling out some aspects I may upset the universe and get everything off track. So instead I think I'll just hang out in limbo land, vowing to make each day better than the last, but leaving it vague enough to be open to all opportunities.

Who knew that 2010 would be the year I would become a hiker? Or learn to love to cook? Or teach myself to quilt? Yet all of those things happened...and without a resolution to drive it.

I did have 3 "real" resolutions in 2010 and if I were grading myself, I'd give myself a B overall. The three resolutions were (1) run something more than a 5k, which I did when I ran an 8k in September; (2) keep in better touch with family and friends which I mostly achieved by sending cards and letters and visiting my family TWICE; and (3) flossing daily. This third resolution is a big fail. I just dread/loath/detest flossing and can't seem to make it a daily habit. I go in spurts and then lose the thread (hehehe) completely. Why is that seemingly nothing habit so difficult for me? I have no idea. I'm disciplined in so many ways, but flossing is my one area of rebellion. For now I'm okay with it and I'm certainly not setting myself up for failure by making another resolution for 2011. I know my limits.

2010 in review was a fantastic year. It was a year of great personal growth. I became more myself than I even knew was possible. And for that I am grateful. Looking forward to whatever else the future holds...

No comments:

Post a Comment